[CF-Devel] Reducing exp penalty on death

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat May 12 07:00:11 CDT 2001

PeterM wrote:

      This has been discussed several times, but I'll float it here:

      do we have a consensus in favor of reducing the experience penalty

      on death?  Some on IRC have said we should change it BEFORE v. 1.0.

      1)  Yes, reduce it.

          a)  Reduce it to 25% or 3 experience levels in each category,

              whicheveris LESS.  (my favored method)

          b)  Reduce it to 10% (or X--you fill in X).

          c)  Use this forumla:  loss = F(current_exp) (you fill in F)

      2)  No, death is already too painless.  Leave it.

I think we pretty much have a consesus that exp loss at high levels
hurts too bad. I'd rather not do it before 1.0 though, since I'd
prefer to have it seriously thought out and tested a bit.

While having a formula (c) of flattening exp loss at high levels
seems best, the 3-levels limit (a) might work quite okay as well.

However, when there is less exp-loss on death, collecting exp to
high numbers will of course be much easier. While this is more or
less what we intended, I think we should consider to increase the
gaps between level gains at the high end.
The step from level 109 to 110 should be much wider than from
level 50 to 51. Right now this is not the case, as far as I know.

Andreas V.