[CF-Devel] acid and repairing of weapons

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Sat May 12 21:12:24 CDT 2001

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 11:48:49AM +1000, dnh wrote:

      A small thing... interesting how we admit it is harder for low levels, and

      in particular newbies. Why pray tell is this? perhaps we should do abit of

      exp tweaking? I would be happy to see skeletons worth more, and small

      trolls... perhaps we should really think deap about this. Most people on

      this list are experienced players and thus are alittle prone to making

      things harder not easier..

     [snip]

Actually, IMHO, the problem is with the lack of good low-level maps. Every
time I start a new character, I find that after a while, i have to keep
repeating the same few quests because the rest are too high-level and
there aren't any other low-level maps left. Plus, most of the low-level
maps suck (to be quite frank).

IMHO, if there are enough interesting, worthwhile low-level quests around,
new players would tend to prefer gaining levels themselves, instead of
going for gifts from higher-level players to get a "boost". (And part of
"worthwhile" is rewarding -- too many low-level quests have little or
nothing whatsoever to offer in return for the newbie's efforts, so there
is not much motivation to do them in the first place.)

This is why I've stopped working on high-level maps, and am now working on
making *good* low-level maps.

PNP = Plug 'N' Pray