[CF-Devel] Enchant Armour MUST be moderated

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun May 13 04:27:29 CDT 2001

Peterm wrote:

      With enchant armour scrolls, it's not very hard to obtain

      armour values like 95 or 97.  Permanently, and with items of

      your choice.

      We can do this immediately post 1.0.

      To get similar values for other resistances, you have to

      make REAL tradeoffs.

      How about this?  Armour caps for every type of armour:

      Type            Max armour  Current max

      boots           10          90

      helmet          20          90

      armour          60          90

      shield          20          90

      gloves          10          90

      gauntlets       10          90

      cloak           20          90

      bracers         10          90

max total:        86%         99%

      I don't propose to cap the amout of ac given beyond what

      is already done.

It's a real good idea, but I think the maxes you proposed
are too low. Almost every monster has physical attack, at
higher levels these do crazy amounts of damage. A warrior
needs real tight physical protection or he is totally screwed.
86% is not enough.

What about this?:

Type            Max armour
boots           20
helmet          30
armour          65
shield          40
gauntlets       30   /gloves     10
cloak           20
bracers         10

max total:      94%

Note that the max total can be surpassed by finding equipment with
more than max armour. Wearing rings/amulets(/girdles?) with
physical protection is also possible but usually this will not
be rewarding.

Andreas V.