[CF-Devel] Enchant Armour MUST be moderated

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun May 13 15:27:18 CDT 2001

      Peterm wrote:

AV, your modified scheme seems fine to me, by and large,
but your calculations don't include protection spells
(protection from attack)
armour spell
(armour)
(ironwood skin)
potions
(invulnerability, aetherality).

Does consideration of these other ways to boost physical
protection change your calculations?  3 of the 5 are readily
available to fighters.

After all, fighters must also often face fire and cold
and other attacks, and these are much more dangerous, because
they cannot be avoided by simply stepping back a square.

So I think we can safely tolerate less protection to physical
attacks than for the others.

How about you pick values for 90, instead of 94?

PeterM

      > With enchant armour scrolls, it's not very hard to obtain

      > armour values like 95 or 97.  Permanently, and with items of

      > your choice.

      > We can do this immediately post 1.0.

      > To get similar values for other resistances, you have to

      > make REAL tradeoffs.

      > How about this?  Armour caps for every type of armour:

      > Type            Max armour  Current max

      > boots           10          90

      > helmet          20          90

      > armour          60          90

      > shield          20          90

      > gloves          10          90

      > gauntlets       10          90

      > cloak           20          90

      > bracers         10          90

      max total:        86%         99%

      > I don't propose to cap the amout of ac given beyond what

      > is already done.

      It's a real good idea, but I think the maxes you proposed

      are too low. Almost every monster has physical attack, at

      higher levels these do crazy amounts of damage. A warrior

      needs real tight physical protection or he is totally screwed.

      86% is not enough.

      What about this?:

      Type            Max armour

      boots           20

      helmet          30

      armour          65

      shield          40

      gauntlets       30   /gloves     10

      cloak           20

      bracers         10

      max total:      94%

      Note that the max total can be surpassed by finding equipment with

      more than max armour. Wearing rings/amulets(/girdles?) with

      physical protection is also possible but usually this will not

      be rewarding.

      Andreas V.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com