Transportation objects (Was: Re: [CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Wed May 16 11:22:37 CDT 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:55:21PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
[snip]

      Change: Allow transportation objects

      Details: Basically allow things like horses, dragons, boats, etc which speed up

      travel time or let you travel over types of terrain you normally could not go

      over.

I, for one, would LOVE to see transportation objects in the game. Horses,
caravans, etc., would all add a lot of flavor to the game.

      Pros: Adds some neat abilities

      Cons: Ability to travel over some types of spaces may open up abuses (ie, easy

      to get some quests, etc). Demand for this may not be really high?

     [snip]

I don't see *that* much a problem with abuses. For example, if we allowed
boats to cross water, the player might be able to reach places impossible
to reach before; however, if we wanted to *prevent* that, we can simply
add rough waters or deep waters that the player cannot cross safely (or
cannot cross at all). Ditto with flying objects, such as riding dragons,
we can have very high mountains with strong winds that prevent the player
from crossing them.

Or we can simply prohibit players from carrying transportation objects, so
only lakes that already have boats can be crossed; the player can't just
drag a boat from elsewhere and cross where he's not intended to.

Almost all proofs have bugs, but almost all theorems are true. -- Paul
Pedersen