[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects

Mike Ponicki sniper at citilink.com
Thu May 17 12:33:49 CDT 2001

       The day/night is one of those things that may be nice to add.  Crossfire (IMO)

      would operate at a faster timescale (not in sync with earth), so that even if

      you always played at night, the time in crossfire would vary.

     ala Everquest, that's exactly how it worked in that game (a day took, I
forget, but like an hour real-world time) . And travelling at night was
perilous if your race couldn't see well at night, which added a whole new
strategic dimension.

       I've addressed music in another mail - I'm not really big on it.  I also have a

      feeling that if we are telling people 'download this 300 megs to get some

      music', not a lot of people are going to bother downloading that 300 megs.

     Not if we use mods. Mods are relatively small file size (bigger than midi,
since the samples are actually in the .mod file), but much smaller than
mp3's or some other digital format.

       I think for things to be more tactical, things would need to be at a slower

      pace.  When right now you kill the monster by attackign it for 10 seconds, there

      isn't a lot of time to try different things.  If it took 30 seconds, then maybe

      that would be enough time to try some different things out.

     This is totally a taste thing. Personally, I like the speed of crossfire,
and how it doesn't take a month to gain a level like it did in Everquest
and in a lot of MUD's. But then again, I tried to get one of my friends
hooked on Crossfire (he's a big MUD guy) and he hated the combat system in
Crossfire, because of the fact it's so fast, and you just plow through
monsters to kill them. We should probably have some sort of debate/vote on
this, but I think this is a low-priority issue compared to the technical
aspects of the game.

-Sniper

     sniper at citilink.com