[CF-Devel] Future of Crossfire

Mike Ponicki sniper at citilink.com
Thu May 17 12:37:21 CDT 2001

      There is one great points i agree on the debate we have on the list:

        1) An attractive interface which mean beautiful graphics. An iso set becomes

      urgent. This set should be more complete than the actual 2D set (more monster

      orientations and animations). It is obvious the crossfire server could not

      handle bandwidth for loading all these gfx, so we should create a standard

      pictures naming and force the clients to download, via ftp for example, the

      set before playing or allow the client to use an alternate ones. So we take of

      this part of the job from the server.

        2) a user friendly client. For the moment, most players have do do thinks

      like bind cast ice storm   bind ...... This NOT attractive. We should have a

      client which know most of the action which can be done on crossfire and give

      player a list of these action with in front the associated key (like in most

      other RPG or Quake likes) or allow binding like in diablo. This client should

      be done for windows in priority and under GPL for faster developpement.

      The current directx client is interesting and a lot of work seems to have been

      done on it but am not sure this client could follow forever the server,

      especially when importants changes are made (like if we run to iso gfx for

      example) because his developper is alone for maintenance. Once again am saying

      what a lots of developper are saying: "Michael Toennies make your client GPL,

      it could become crazily good".

     I agree whole-heartedly. We need new graphics, this is a big priority, if
we ever hope to enlarge the crossfire community. However, I still maintain
that performance is a big issue too, because as the community grows, we
will need improved performance to keep up.

-Sniper

     sniper at citilink.com