[CF-Devel] Future of Crossfire

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Thu May 17 17:40:15 CDT 2001

Umm I tend to disagree with this.

Firstly, I honestly DON'T believe an 'iso' view version of crossfire, or
at least a version like the 'standard set'. I personally believe that with
a short month, Peterm and I have created a better, more congruent, set
that really does look great. The alternate set (which can be found on
crossfire.csua.ber....) may look easy to convert to iso but there is a
large problem and that is with the multitiled monsters. If we take on an
iso view major changes are going to have to be made, and IMHO it simply
isn't worth our time.. certainly if some wiz artists comes along AND MAKES
the new images I would be happy to see such ventures, but until we have
some real live artist walking about, that I can talk to and ask questions
about, I don't support this view.

Secondly, you say our servers can't support uploading the images to the
clients? what do you think they already do? and what do you think is
already supported? if you add -usefile or something like that, it will
grab its images from a set of pngs, you don't need to get them from the
server. This is merely an implementation problem and I am sure Mark would
be willing to hear suggestions on a better way to do it ;).

2) We have been looking for someone to work on the linux client for a long
long time, Mark has done some excellent work, but the fact remains it is
not an interface heavy client. It is simple, it works and I personally
find it very useable. Some speed improvements and a few new options in the
preferences and I think we have an excellent client already. Most stuff
you find in clients today tends to be artists who have plenty of time, if
we have one.. then perhaps we could consider this.

Not only this, but we are constantly updating the server, I personally
have been involved in adding 10 or so spells, and I don't think I want to
consider having to fix the client everytime I add a new spell =\.

These are just a few thoughts, but they were eating at me, sometimes you
must remember that crossfire is not a commercial game, and we don't have
spare resources lieing about. While setting a high goal is fine, I think
we should set ones that we can achieve ourselves, realistically.

dnh