[CF-Devel] isometric graphics

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Thu May 17 17:47:10 CDT 2001

The alternate

      set has inconsistend perspective but monsters are displayed straight.

      Iso is the only way to have both correct perspective and straight

      monster drawings.

Umm ask Mich about this, in actual fact the alternate set is absolutely
perfect for true isomorphic view, we just have to fix some of the facings.
On the other hand the standard set is WAY off, it lakes all perspective
(once again ask Mich about this, I don't want to even try explaining). If
we wanted to switch to David Gs isomorphic set we would have to take the
alternate set images, look at his example if you do'nt believe me.

and hard to draw? come on, nobody says they are hard to draw, who doesn't
say anything is hard to draw. The only reason I don't draw for it is
because I totally dislike it, and can only see myself making poor attempts
at it, and not putting 100% in.

dnh

      The viewable area is simply rotated by 45°. The real change this brings

      is that high obstacles overlap with the above square(s).

      Hence multipart objects will differ. If we want to have a good

      way to handle multipart objects we might need changes in the server

      code. (E.g. Allowing to walk *behind* high obstacles is a thing

      I would consider).

      > OTOH, if support for both iso and tile format, we're back to the

      > same complaint we have now - more than one format to draw for when

      > adding new objects.

      I think if we go for iso-graphics we must drop all other perspectives

      or we have chaos. But note that we could take over graphics of

      monsters and items (Mainly from alternate set and xpm).

      In other words, there should be a real big majority for iso-graphics

      before we go that route.

      > So then realistically, we probably do need to decide what graphic form

      > we want to use.  But thats what this discussion is for.

      Exactly :)

      Andreas V.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com