[CF-Devel] Metaserver feature request

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Mon May 21 18:13:17 CDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Joris Bontje wrote:

      Hello,

      I can adjust my metaserver graph program very easily to log the datatraffic of ALL the servers.

      Tho things on the server side should be done:

      1) Let the metaserver accept 2 extra fields (bytes in and bytes out).

      2) Let the server send on every metaserver update those 2 fields.

      The trick would be to do it in such a way that the current client don't get broken, probably by putting it in the comments field.

 This can probably get done pretty easily.

 As far as the metaserver script itself is concerned, the only thing
it cares about from the data the server sends to it is the hostname.  It
doesn't care about all the other fields (just treats it as string data).
When generating HTML, it does split them all apart, so to add a
bytes in/bytes out in html would be pretty easy - if that output is
not desired in the html output, no changes would be needed.

 Not positive, but I think the client (unix client at least) only looks
for the seperators for data it expects to find - ie, after it gets the
separator for the comment section, it does not look for any more separators
so it probably should not care.  In fact, at least the unix client doesn't
even do anything with the comment field, as printing that tended to
make the list fairly unreadable.

 So in summary, this should be easy to do.

 Since metaserver updates don't necessarily happen in sync with CSSTAT
updates, this would probably be cumulative total if inbytes/outbytes.
Is that the data you wanted, or did you want elapsed byte counts?