[CF-Devel] New armour case

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue May 22 20:26:00 CDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, dnh wrote:

      Is there any major objections to me making a new case light_armour and

      moving bracers and girdles into it. Then allowing ruggilli and Q's to

      wear light armour only. The only real gains are, up to 50% acid resistance

      or +1 magic, +2 str and con and for ruggilli plus an extra 30 to fire

      (which it doesn't really need).

      I feel looking at the body shape of the Q that is is both acceptable and

      fun. The beholders and fireborn would not be able to wear any of this

      though.

      It has also been mentioned that some races, in particular beholders,

      should be able to wear more than two rings. I put that up to

      consideration.

 Rather than make another general case, I would much rather there be
specific yes/no case for item types, and not just general objects.

 For example, being able to give the can_use_shield as a specific
granularity would be nice (I would think that if Q's can use swords,
they should have this).

 Likewise with can_use_bracers, can_use_boots, ... and so on.

 I would rather go this specific (1 item type) case than go for a
sort of general approach which we'll probably say pretty quickly
still isn't good enough.

 I don't want to get into particular races at this point - I'm more interested
in getting an implementation that we will be happy with for a long time.

 Which, if we take the above a bit further, perhaps a more general approach
could be called for (instead of using 20 can_use flags), have item_allowed and
item_denied fields, ie, for a Q:

item_allowed	all
item_denied	armor, boots, helmet, rings

 Where as something like the fireborn may have something like:
item_allowed	ring,scroll,wand,potion,rod
item_denied	all

 Fortunately, players don't equip/unequip stuff all that often, so parsing
such a form shouldn't be too costly (and if really desired, it could be made
so that it is only parse at load up or in major changes, and we just have a
bit field for all the object types, with 1/0 values if the player can use the
item or not).

 This method is a bit more work, although I'm not precisely how hard, but
has the advantage that it allows as much flexibility as we want - if new
item type is added in the future, don't need to worry about the can_use
flag - just need to update the parsing routine which will almost
certainly be easier (and plus, with the default cases, may not even
need to modify monsters/players much).

 Note having item_denied by the default (since it makes sense for most
monsters) works out best, but most players would have item_allowed all.

 Just my not so random thoughts.