[Re: [CF-Devel] Future of Crossfire]

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed May 23 01:46:09 CDT 2001

"H. S. Teoh" wrote:

      Well, IMHO, we might as well fix this now, as it will make a lot of things

      more sensible (eg. why hill giants can fit on a 1-square wide north/south

      corridor but not in a 1-square wide east/west corridor).

 This can of course get really complicated.

 For example, wyverns should rightfully be 2 space objects.  However, if they
arre going north/south, they should be taking 2 spaces in that direction, and if
going east/west, taking two spaces in that axis.

 You are right, this really should be fixed.  Unfortunately, its not a trivial
fix.  But this would save the effort of having to split up images, and in the
long run make things easier.  OTOH, some re-tweaking of monsters would likely be
necessary - I know a lot of monsters have certain number of hp/resistances
because being multipart means they are more vulnerable to spells.  So for
example if the monsters footprint (affectable area) is reduced, the monster may
become much tougher.

 This can also result in some more serious perspective issues for non isomorphic
users - thing the demonlord, which should have a much smaller footprint than its
real size.   in overhead view, it would appear you are standing beneath/on top
of his chest, and so you would then need to move to his feet to attack.  The
same is of course true with iso, but the perspective at least makes it appear a
little better).

 Thats one of the things I don't like about iso - the perspective does not match
what the character sees - the character could be standing right next to a
gemstone, but because of the isomorphic view, the gem is actually obscured from
view with a tree or tower or the like.

 I know some games fix this by giving a hotkey to 'show all items', which then
draws an outline or the like on the top layer of the screen so you can find such
things.  I don't know if that can be reasonably implemented in crossfire or not.