[CF-Devel] It is time to get rid of xpms and xbms

Chris Lusena lusena at cs.uky.edu
Wed May 23 15:11:22 CDT 2001

      Quoting dnh (

      dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      ):

      > I agree with this idea, the sooner the better in my opinion.

      Is there resistence to this move?

I think that the major resistance is to those of us with lower
graphics than 1024x728x 24 bit color, or is it 16 bit color?

I haven't seen a consensus on what the minimum video requirement should
be note that 11X11 of 32x32 tiles is 352x352 pixels which makes even
640x480 a possibility with a clever client and 800x600 I think
doable with a slightly better layout then what we have.
Just tried 800x600 with split windows and 32x32 tiles it possible but
cramped I think a little better designed status subwins
and it would be better, a small configuration flag on the unix clients
(-lowres) would do the trick I think.

What need to be decided is who get left out on the iceflow this time
and then we wait at least 2-3 years before we leave anyone else.
If I'm out on the iceflow because of only 8 bit colours then so be it.
I think that one size and formate of titles an two color modes is the most
we can get out of artists. The question is what to color modes, and
will the artists do it? The 8bit colour will allow even most VGA people
play if some one write the client write. (Though it will have to be a
very different client I think)

--
Chris Lusena                       Office: 762 AH
Department of Computer Science     Phone: 859-257-3678

     lusena at cs.uky.edu

Lexington, KY 40506-0046 U.S.A.

     http://www.cs.uky.edu/~lusena