[CF-Devel] It is time to get rid of xpms and xbms

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Wed May 23 15:56:42 CDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Chris Lusena wrote:

      I think that the major resistance is to those of us with lower

      graphics than 1024x728x 24 bit color, or is it 16 bit color?

 Realistically, the number of bits isn't really important.  While the
graphics will look best with 16+ bit displays, it should still work on
8 bit displays (it does some primitive color matching, which works,
but images won't look as good, just as what happens with any reduced
color mechanism)

      I haven't seen a consensus on what the minimum video requirement should

      be note that 11X11 of 32x32 tiles is 352x352 pixels which makes even

      640x480 a possibility with a clever client and 800x600 I think

      doable with a slightly better layout then what we have.

      Just tried 800x600 with split windows and 32x32 tiles it possible but

      cramped I think a little better designed status subwins

      and it would be better, a small configuration flag on the unix clients

      (-lowres) would do the trick I think.

 Things like inventory and look windows could also be done in a more space
sensitive fashion.  Remove the icon, and just put weight after the name is
parens would make it much more compact (a 32 high icon really cuts down on
number of objects that can be displayed, where as with just font, you probably
could fit 2-3 times more objects in)

 Realistically, I have big hi-res displays, so am not that interested in
optimizing for small displays.  But of course, it only takes on person to
do so.  I already described optimizing the inventory/look windows for more
space.  I don't think much can be done with the information window other than
to make it smaller.  Potentially, the stat window (one which has str, dex,
etc) isn't needed all that much - putting a toggle between that and the status
bar window would save some space there (as the status bar window has all the
important information.)