[CF-Devel] It is time to get rid of xpms and xbms

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Wed May 23 17:16:04 CDT 2001

Well, its as i said long before: the xpm/xbm set is designed.
The png set is assembled.

There is only one way to avoid it: make a big cut and start from bottom up.

I will soon drop some for the iso set, perhaps we can make here the deal and
hit 2 flies at once: new set and new style.

Again: we don't speak about monsters. The nice of the flat monsters is, that
they
fit more or less in nearly all true iso gfx.

Michael

      On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 01:56:42PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      > On Wed, 23 May 2001, Chris Lusena wrote:

      > > I think that the major resistance is to those of us with lower

      > > graphics than 1024x728x 24 bit color, or is it 16 bit color?

      >  Realistically, the number of bits isn't really important.  While the

      > graphics will look best with 16+ bit displays, it should still work on

      > 8 bit displays (it does some primitive color matching, which works,

      > but images won't look as good, just as what happens with any reduced

      > color mechanism)

      I've used the current color matching 1.0.0 and I can say that the color

      matching is _very_bad_ IMHO, in fact I find it so bad as to limit

      playablity. I've switch _back_ to xpm from png because the color

      matching is so bad, even though since I have sufficient resolution

      I prefer the bigger tiles. Though I am on a sun which I believe are

      know for bad X implementations and poor color control, so it could

      be something odd my system.

      --

      Chris Lusena                       Office: 762 AH

      Department of Computer Science     Phone: 859-257-3678

      773 Anderson Hall                  Fax: 859-323-1971

      University of Kentucky             Email:

      lusena at cs.uky.edu

      Lexington, KY 40506-0046 U.S.A.

      http://www.cs.uky.edu/~lusena

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com