[CF-Devel] 25 by 25 instead of 11 by 11 map

pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net
Fri May 25 11:26:20 CDT 2001

      Note that sending the player coordinates would not be a big deal.

     You could piggyback that on the stats command, so it would only be

     3 more bytes (I'll presume a map will never be more than 255x255).

This may not be the right way of doing it.

If, instead, whenever the player moves, you sent a direction code to the
client with a special value for teleport, you would solve the problem with
only needing 4 bits, and you wouldn't have to worry about a maximum map
size or weird behaviour with tiling maps.

So normal movement would result in sending the client one of eight
directions.  Going to a new map, teleporting, jumping, or falling through a
pit would result in sending the client the special teleport code.

If you wanted to, you could use one byte with the lower nibble being the
direction and the upper nibble being the distance.  This would allow for
jumping and short-range dimension door.

My main reason for arguing this is to support transparent map tiling.  With
server-supported tiling, you will be changing maps, but the client doesn't
need to know this.  Hence, if we can just tell the client we moved one
square, then it works just like moving within one map.

Personally, I think the automatic map tiling is really critical right now.
It really needs to be done before expanding the main world map.

--PC