[CF-Devel] (no subject)

Klaus Elsbernd elsbernd at dfki.uni-kl.de
Sat May 26 03:01:17 CDT 2001

Hallo

      Quoting dnh (

      dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      ):

      > I agree with this idea, the sooner the better in my opinion.

      Is there resistence to this move?

     There is more resistence, (from me) but I see, that severall major developpers
have good reasons for doing so. :-(
And those, who wan't to remove png should see (on the count of mailing)
that are a lot people which are against it. Even the I think there is a
majority of useres, which aren't on the list or are quiet.

     crossfire-devel-request at lists.real-time.com

      said:

      The 8bit colour will allow even most VGA people play if some one write

      the client write.

     And some workstation-graphics adapters too.
The arguments went towards pc-Problems.
(For I am an old-fashionend unix-guy, you know.)

     The question is what to color modes, and will the artists do it?

The future of crossfire should make use of new features, graphics and artists.
If this results in a move to new graphics, modes, file-formats,
crossfire should use those. But it should not (imho) get rid of the old
ones, if there is no real need for it.
The old formats can be supported by automatically converting those
graphics/formats... If the result would be not accurate or not very nice,
it would be so. If someone makes it better, he should be able to do it.
But this needs, that the code isn't dropped.