[CF List] Not getting sounds (gtk+ client)

dubious (cf) dubious at 2xtreme.net
Thu May 24 23:16:23 CDT 2001

Yup, in fact I downloaded both versions (the .au and the .raw) just
in case.

I put them in /usr/local/lib/sounds which the client compile lists
as the default.

I'll recheck the sound volume when I get a chance, but I
SUSPECT that's not the problem.

It could be KDE, as I occasionally run into problems getting
to the sound channel from other programs (e.g. Xine), but
normally running the programs through artsdsp correctly
passes the sounds through.

I do remember that last time I tried crossfire at all (compiled
server and played for about 1/2 hour...about 2 years ago...) I
was getting some sound, but it was very intermittent during
the game, and at the time amounted to the occasional "blip"
of sound that was apparently associated with combat...I don't
remember what WM I was using at the time, it may have been KDE 1.x
or it could have been fvwm2.

As you say, Crossfire's a lot of fun even without the sounds, so
it's not an urgent issue for me, I'm just intensely curious to find
out what I'm screwing up...

On Thursday 24 May 2001 21:05, you wrote:

      fredagen den 25 maj 2001 03:04 you wrote:

      > On Thu, 24 May 2001, cf wrote:

      >  First - did you download the sound files?

      >  Second - check audio volume.  I find that I need the crank up the

      > volume a bit higher for crossfire sounds to be as audible as some other

      > games.

      >  If you compiled the game yourself, make sure the sound definition

      > files match where you have actually installed the sound files

      > (this is the sounds* file in the client directory).

      >  I know sound works with OSS/kernel 2.4 as that is what I use.  Don't

      > know about ALSA.

      I'm having the same problem, no sound. I'm also using KDE, 2.1 and suspect

      the problem is with KDE's sound configuration. But crossfire is very good

      even without sound.

      Olle Viksten

     --
"Given the pace of technology, I propose we leave math to the machines
and go play outside." - Calvin