[CF-Devel] crossfire vs mud

Beno Attila attila at civ.hu
Wed Nov 7 05:58:20 CST 2001

hi,

I'm new to the list, and although I browsed through the archives by
subject, this question may have already come up. If so, sorry.

I come from a mudding background, and am used to having 100+ users on the
same server. Looking at the metaserver stats, there are max 2-3 people
online at a time on a crossfire server. I don't assume there is a
technical reason for it, right?

So why do all running servers have the out-of-the-box maps? Again, please
exuse me, I'm fairly new to crossfire, but fell in love with in pretty
quickly. :)

With an out-of-the-box mud, the situation is the same, there are max 2-3
people online. But with unique servers, that have maps that you can not
play elsewhere, many people start joining, and it all becomes more fun.
You can form parties etc.

So is it, for some reason required that you use the original maps? (I've
only seen one server that had EXTRA maps, but even that had the original
set.)

Question #2. :) I'm thinking about starting a crossfire server in a
different language (Hungarian). Writing the maps is no problem,
translating the server is no problem, translating the X client is no
problem, but the Windows client is more tricky. (For one, I use linux, and
have no idea how to compile stuf that runs under Win :), and two, I don't
even remember seeing the source.)

Is there a way that this can be done, or should I just forget it? :)

For the server, I was thinking about a script that goes through the
source files, and changes the texts, so the server itself can be upgraded
anytime, and still have the correct translations. (This could work for any
other language as well hopefully.)

Thanks for any replies. :)

Attila

We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those
we don't like? -Jean Cocteau, author and painter (1889-1963)

- ---
Public key:

     http://civ.hu/attila.asc