[CF-Devel] Suggestion.

Adam Ashenfelter aashenfe at bright.net
Fri Nov 16 11:28:55 CST 2001

On Friday 16 November 2001 12:57 am, you wrote:

       The idea is interesting.  One question obviously is - is it easier to set

      up something like that, or just expand the map by hand/script?

     It's debatable, I'll try to write a map generater with some extra time I have
this weekend.  I don't know enough about the engine to modify it, but I can
right out a map format.

       The main problem is the resulting map that may get generated and how it

      mixes in with quests and the like.  Some quests say 'find the caves near

      the south edge of the main mountain range' or the like - if that mountain

      range is now someplace else, or does not really exist, such messages become

      pretty useless.

       You also need make sure the map generated fits in - you probably don't

      want a case where the world now ends up as a bit of islands and no easy way

      to get from one to another.

     I would guess that the map builders would have to worry about this with the
new map anyway.  Plus  a number of different numbers could be plugged into
the generator until it generates a map the similar to the current map.

       Note that the current world map uses about 700k (and I note that probably

      10% of that is overlap spaces).  So even if the new map is 100 bigger, that

      amounts to 70 MB - yes, a bit of space, but on most any modern systems, I

      can't see that being much a bigger.

     I hear a lot of talk of increasing map detail so that outdoor maps are the
same scale as the  cities.  If this turns out to be the case, the map could
easily be 100 times bigger in each dimmention.  In this case, the map will
take 7GB if stored on disk.  Yes, I have that much free, but it's still a lot
to use up for one map.

       Well, maybe.  The world map is obviously going to have entrances to

      dungeons and the like - these dungeons need to lead back out to the same

      place - they need to use some coordinate to do that.  IMO, a bit of the

      effort in expanding the world map is not increasing the scale, but updating

      all of those exits to the new paths.

     Not increasing the scale, increasing the size by allowing players to pass
beyond  the border to whatever may be there.

       Debatable.  Presumably, no matter what the scale/generation, people know

      that they want to go to certain places (eg, the dungeon that is located

      there, or the south east corner, or whatever).  So while the terrain the

      player is travelling through may end up being different, the important

      pieces will remain in the same places (eg, dungeons, etc).  And unless the

      map is infinitely large, in any case, places will probably get explored.

      And while that is an interesting idea, unless there are interesting things

      on all areas of this infinite map, you really want care.

     Interesting if you care about looking at scenery.   Or fighting generated
monster populations.

      > 5.  The map would use a universal coordinate scheme.  Thus monsters could

      > track players through map block without worrying about map transitions

      > and portals.

       With the new map tiling code, this currently works.

     Cool

       Other thoughts:

       The map as a whole has to be consistent.  If you have a player starting in

      the far east, and another in the far west, the system must be such that as

      they move (and new map gets generated), if they meet, the transition makes

      sense.

       Second, it would seem most likely that each server would generate this

      world map (or areas) once, and not again.  Otherwise, it is hard to explain

      why that mountain range that used to be there is not there anymore.

     Perline Noise functions are deterministic.  I can ask the terrain function
for one x, y location on the world map, and it would return the same exact
result every time I call the function.  I suggest the following site for
Perlin Noise info.

     http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm

       Third, computer generated maps are pretty much never as good as human

      ones. Presuming you do as you say and some features (eg, rivers and the

      like) are put in the over ride maps, you know have the problem that a river

      may run through a mountain range because the generator put a range where a

      river was running.

     See above.  The map designers would know what the map looked like as they
made changes and I hope would not run a river straight through a mountain,
and could fix any mistakes the terrain engine made.

      > Multi

      > server capability(Different maps run on different server, One server is

      > authority on player stats)

       I have yet to see a compelling reason to do this, and lots of reasons not

      to (complication, syncrhonization, more points of failure)

     OK maybe on doing this on such a scale is not a good idea right now.  But
maybe taking the image server out of the main server, and putting them on
authoritative image servers around the internet would have some benefits.

Later
Adam