[CF-Devel] Terrain generation

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Wed Nov 21 01:39:59 CST 2001

On 21-Nov-01 Mark Wedel wrote:

       A lot depends on what method we eventually go with to make the world.  A

      tool

      like that is most useful if the world is completely generated, unique to each

      server, as it lets the admin preview and tweak the worlds quite easily.

I tried to use the program, but was totally unsuccessful in compiling it.

However.. it might have some algorithims we can use.  I've been playing with
some of my own, and the perlin function.. but haven't really gotten anywhere.

The perlin function generates great basic rolling shapes, but I haven't been
able to get it to make complex ones, like fjords or sudden peaks and valleys.

I think what we really want is something that runs from the command line, and
spits out a map.  I'd rather not get into the mess of relying on someone else's
software.

However.. maybe the terraform program has some nice algorithims we can steal..
I did find a nice one to do smoothing on the web.  So far by playing with both,
I can get perfect shapes for the continents, but like I said, I cannot get
complex shorelines or mountain ranges.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net