[CF-Devel] Paralyze

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Sat Nov 24 11:52:28 CST 2001

Some thoughts about this...

Some underlined problems with possible corrections:

1 - I got paralyzed and I think it is a server problem, resulting in a savage
disconnection.

Can't we simply add a message or something telling the player that he's
currently paralyzed ? This could solve the problem in most cases.

2 - You are paralyzed and you need to leave the game for some reason, but
can't.

I don't think this is a specific paralyze problem - you may need to leave the
game abruptly at any time. Either we allow a way to leave the game anywhere
you want (effectively rendering the savebeds useless) or we implement some
kind of "paused" mode. Another thing to do here is to be able to use some
commands even if you're paralyzed (mostly "quit" and "save").

3 - Players paralyze newbies "just for fun".

That's the risk in any "unrestricted" game environment. If we prevent the use
of paralyze on other players, we also need to prevent any other harmful spell.
My opinion: if you are a newbie and feel repressed by some bad boys, either
make a league against him or report it to the server maintainer. This will not
require again more code in the server and could also promote teamplay
somewhat.

4 - I'm paralyzed but I want to be able to save my character from
monsters/starvation/door bell syndrome

Isn't paralyze supposed to prevent you to do anything with your character ? Or
maybe it has another meaning in English ? Isn't paralyze one of the things
that can add more risk to the adventurer's life ? And if players are still
able to do some things like using items or casting some spells, why would not
the monsters also be able to do so ?

Except for the first point (sending a clear "paralyzed" message/status report
to the player), I see no reason to change the way paralyze currently works -
sounds like the game would take care a little more of me, and I don't want it:
I love living dangerously :)

Chachkoff Y.

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.f2s.com