[CF List] Need installation help (please?)

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Fri Nov 30 18:11:58 CST 2001

-- Lyle Bergman <

     lbergman at mninter.net

      Hi all!

          Crossfire looks like an excellent game, but I'm running into nothing

      but roadblocks trying to get it installed. I'm a bit of a linux newbe;

      please bear with me.

          I'm running Red Hat linux 7.1 and want to play crossfire without

      connecting to any external server. (So I have to run the server locally,

      I believe?) I downloaded the three main tar files

      (crossfire-1.0.0.tar.gz, crossfire-client-1.0.0.tar.gz, and

      crossfire-maps-1.0.0.tar.gz) and extracted all the files. For the server,

      when I try ./configure, I get a message basically saying it can't find

      the file. The same happens when I try the client.

          I checked and I have all the GTK libraries installed, however xpm is

      nowhere to be found, not even on the installation disks. I downloaded and

      attempted to install the xpm library version that was in the old RH 6.1

      version, but got a message saying it conflicted with some other installed

      packages (something like XFree86, if memory serves) and refused to

      install. Unless xpm was incorprated into another package, it seems XPM

      just isn't possible for Red Hat 7.1. I don't know if that's the source of

      the problem or not.

You can get the xpm libs off of the redhat distribution
media. I don't remember which of the RPM's has it. To
perfrom an exhaustive search of the RPM's on your media
if no other tools are avialable use:

    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt;
    cd /mnt/RedHat/RPMS;
    mkdir /var/tmp/$$; # wherever you put large scratch files.
    pushd /var/tmp/$$;
    for file in ~-/*rpm; do
        echo -e "\n$(baseneme file)\n";
        rpm2cpio < $file | cpio -it
    done 2>&1 | tee rpmlist;

This will leave you with a catalog of rpm file names and their
contents. less it and search for "libXpm" (notice the capital 'X').

                                            +1 800 762 1582