[CF-Devel] sdl client

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Fri Oct 12 19:35:31 CDT 2001

Some thoughts about all this...

Technically, it is indeed true that only one client would be better: less
work, less compatibility problems, ...
But you forget some major points:

1 - Not everyone is happy with the DX/GTK/Athena/Gnome/Java client interface
(select the one that fits your needs). And trying to get only one interface
common to all clients is forgetting players desires, IMO.

2 - There are still *lots* of technical problems with the SDL client to solve
about its portability. Should I remind you the key problem ? And did you
forgot the speed (fps) debate about it ? Indeed, SDL client still needs lots
of work to make it really at the level of the GTK client, and in a portable
way

Now what I suggest (and this is a player idea, not a developer's one !) is
remaking some parts of the SDL client to :
- Correctly manage the keys across platforms;
- Handle various graphical interfaces (a "skin" system for example, but not
limited to the graphics, but also defining the buttons positions, inventory
size, etc.);

I understand quite well that it is quite frustrating to see your work didn't
encountered the interest you expected. But do not see it as "wasted time":
looks like some people asked about it, and thus were interested. But IMO, the
SDL client is not mature enough to replace the old clients now.

Again, I agree with the "developers" point of view - one client should make
work easier. But I disagree when seeing thing from the players point-of-view:
most DX-players don't like the GTK interface while most GTK-players don't
like the DX one. That's why I favor a "common non-visual interface" on which
you could adapt the GUI part over a "kill-them-all-except -one" solution.

Chachkoff Y.