[CF-Devel] RE: map editors (was Re: Too many clients)

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Tue Oct 23 14:03:52 CDT 2001

On 23-Oct-01 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      First off: Crossedit is not written in xlib - It is written in the

      Xt-toolkit, a toolkit based on the xlib. That's one of the main reasons

      why Crossedit is so unpopular among developers: Nobody wants to get dirty

      with something like an Xt-toolkit anymore.

Yeah yeah.. I know..  I just generally refer to Xlib/Xt/Xaw as all the same..

      The Java environments are as free as they can be. Not

      open source, okay. But why should that matter?

Because I'm more high and mighty about free things than most. :)  And basically
because of the draconic rules governing the Java environments put out by Sun.. I
basically can't run it on NetBSD natively.  (there are all kinds of political
BS rules governing it, and generally speaking, it runs on linux, because they
have a large enough lobby to get a magical waiver from Sun)

      Additional to the above mentioned, Java is easy to install

      on Windows and MacOS. That's a lot more Systems than the xlib runs on.

Please.. understand.  I'm not suggesting in any way that the xlib version is
better, or should be retained in favor of yours.  For 95% of our users, your
version is the way to go.  I just don't want to see the only one I can use go
away.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net