[CF-Devel] RE: map editors (was Re: Too many clients)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Tue Oct 23 09:29:55 CDT 2001

Tim R. wrote:

      > I think the Xlib map editor will go away - it is already in

      > the mostly unsupported category

      Well.. if it went away.. I'd be pretty unhappy.  I'm not guaranteeing that

      I'll keep it up to date.. but if it stays.. I'll try.  (unless someone

     wants

      to write one in GTK)

First off: Crossedit is not written in xlib - It is written in the
Xt-toolkit, a toolkit based on the xlib. That's one of the main reasons
why Crossedit is so unpopular among developers: Nobody wants to get dirty
with something like an Xt-toolkit anymore.

      Basically.. point blank.. Java isn't free.

The Java environments are as free as they can be. Not
open source, okay. But why should that matter?

      It's also very difficult to get a jdk or runtime for certain OS/arches

      other than linux/freebsd/i386/Solamis.

Additional to the above mentioned, Java is easy to install
on Windows and MacOS. That's a lot more Systems than the xlib runs on.

Besides, on my own linux distro (SuSE) Crossedit core dumps somewhere
in the Xt library functions. I've heard from other people facing the
same problem.

      I agree the Java one is probably the way to go..as it's most likely

      easier for most people to use.  I however.. would be utterly screwed

      without the xlib one.  And if I ever tackle some maps.. I guess

      I'm going to have to fix what needs to be fixed to do so.

I think nobody feels that Crossedit *has to* go away. It's just that
nobody seems interested to work on it. And if Crossedit continues to
fall behind, at some point it might get unusable.
Anyone is welcomed to keep Crossedit up-to-date though.

Andreas V.