[CF-Devel] SDL client and debian/linux

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Tue Oct 30 10:55:18 CST 2001

Hm, when you guys has tried it with the ^M inside and you don't has tools
to handle it, you has problems.

Well, first \n in unix is not the right way to handle ascii text.
The real way to handle ascii text is broken in unix - and hacked in
windows. :)

First, 0x0a and 0x0d are named "line feed" and "carriage return" (hope i
spelled right).
They are command from the good old mechanical typewriter times. As commands,
they invoke
electric typewriters at the end of a line to "go one line up" and "move the
carriage back".

Notice, that this is not the same - for tables for example you don't want
move the carriage -
you just go one line down and one back - so, this is not as stupid as you
think.

These are 2 (!) actions - different actions. In unix, the one command is
skipped - but that means
NOT that "hello world"+ox0d+0x0a is not a valid acii string!

Is it - and its by unix and his tools to handle it. Unix don't can do it
most times.
Well, thats one reason why i tell unix as "not more or less limited as
windows or other OS".

The bad point is that most unix user THINK they have the god given tools
(sorry bob :-) .

There are more bad points, where unix really sucks when it tries to do other
things then
the standard ones - cvs is totally crappy in working with windows ascii
files or binaries.
Notice, that in the real big world (banks and other big data handling
companies) most count cvs
as "not useful for professional use".

Please, this is not a flame mail - iam really tired about this threads.
Is just, that IF we use cross platform source, we should be able from source
& tools
to face the specifics.

Well, and you don't want a doc file which tells the users: "because the
limited powers
of unix you must remove all 0x0d and all // C++ command lines that this
platform can use
his overaged development tools." (Sorry, i can't resist to write this :)

Btw, under windows, every slightly good shareware tool (text editor or
compiler) can handle all
this stuff. The point is, that i DON'T SEE in windows any difference in
editor or VC between a
windows or unix file - they handled 100% in the right way. You can even mix
unix and windows text-
it will shown right.

Ok, we should set for the source there some rules. In all ways, this above
is pur trivial.

To the source - remember i hacked the flat mode in 4 hours. And some is
ripped from dx client.
For other system you don't have to compile it - you have to implement it.
This is the stage the source go to alpha - is even pur work source yet.
So don't expect a non warning/error compiling in the first steps.

I will update the source in the next days.
Michael

      Hi guys,

      	njh and I tried to compile the sdl client, after a good 30

      mins of fixing silly errors njh has gotten impatient and given

      up. I once again state that IF you want this code to be the

      STANDARD and maintained by everyone it is going to need to be

      really cleaned out.

      There are missing pointers and assumptions made (talk to njh

      about specifics: njh (at) hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au). That to

      my understanding should simply not compile. How are why it does

      on windows is a mystery to me, but the reality is it cannot be

      compiled on my machine. I believe this is the flat supported

      version and as thus is very flaky. Please don't use // comments

      as they seem to cause problems with some compilers. Please don't

      use ^M new lines \n is the standard.

      I am sure the isoclient is a much nicer piece of code in the long

      run, but right now it simply cannot be read. I implore people

      like Mark to take alook and try to clean it up. I am very

      interested to know who has compiled it, and under what OS or

      distribution of linux.

      This message is not intended to be an attack on Mich's coding

      skills (as they are certainly far better than mine for starters

      ;), but in the interested of moving to a smaller support base

      setup I would like to make this point. Please take this as

      constructive criticism and work with me to get crossfire's SDL

      client up and running for everyone.

      Yours peacefully

      	dnh

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com