[CF-Devel] SDL client and debian/linux

David Hurst dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Tue Oct 30 04:50:00 CST 2001

Hi guys,
	njh and I tried to compile the sdl client, after a good 30 mins of fixing silly errors njh has gotten impatient and given up. I once again state that IF you want this code to be the STANDARD and maintained by everyone it is going to need to be really cleaned out.

There are missing pointers and assumptions made (talk to njh about specifics: njh (at) hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au). That to my understanding should simply not compile. How are why it does on windows is a mystery to me, but the reality is it cannot be compiled on my machine. I believe this is the flat supported version and as thus is very flaky. Please don't use // comments as they seem to cause problems with some compilers. Please don't use ^M new lines \n is the standard.

I am sure the isoclient is a much nicer piece of code in the long run, but right now it simply cannot be read. I implore people like Mark to take alook and try to clean it up. I am very interested to know who has compiled it, and under what OS or distribution of linux.

This message is not intended to be an attack on Mich's coding skills (as they are certainly far better than mine for starters ;), but in the interested of moving to a smaller support base setup I would like to make this point. Please take this as constructive criticism and work with me to get crossfire's SDL client up and running for everyone.

Yours peacefully
	dnh