[CF-Devel] The Java Client

Isak Styf oxygen at ludd.luth.se
Wed Oct 31 19:32:55 CST 2001

Hi all.

Not having heard from Philip Brown for a while i decided to
blow the dust of my old copy of his sources and do some work.

When i started with it i just wanted to fiddle with it to kill off some
time, but a couple of nights later im sitting here with a more or
less reincarnated client.

I have implemented functionality to take care of image checksums
(although they are currently just ripped out of the datastream and
tossed away). Implemented parsing of resistance values in the stats
command. Taken care of the two part names, splitting the name into
a singular name and a plural name. Enabled the info window to
draw information using the specified colors. Introduced a maximum
amount of text in the info window, ..., ..., ..., ...

... And, enabled PNG support!

I havent tested the code on non Java 2 machines, but to the best of
my knowledge i am not using any Java 2 code except for the
introduction of some Swing components. Yes, part of Java 2, but not
dependent on Java 2.

I have to make two reservations though:

My work is based on a code base thats over a year old, so any
changes made by Phil after that are not likely to have made it
into my code.

Since Phil started the Java client work and my work is based on
his sources, i dont want to release anything until he thinks its ok.

Currently what you can do is to have a look at

     http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/oxygen/cfclient/jcfscreen.tiff

(sorry about the format, but im to lazy to convert it right now. ;)

The host OS is MacOSX so beware if Mac makes your skin itch. ;)

Comments and questions are very welcome. Bye for now.

     /// Isak Styf,

     oxygen at ludd.luth.se