[CF-Devel] Re: The Java Client

Isak Styf oxygen at ludd.luth.se
Wed Oct 31 22:28:37 CST 2001

torsdag den 1 november 2001, kl 03:01, skrev Philip_Brown:

      On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 02:32:55AM +0100, Isak Styf wrote:

      ..>

      Since Phil started the Java client work and my work is based on

      his sources, i dont want to release anything until he thinks its ok.

      if it works, then I'm happy with it. go for it :-)

      But DO make sure that it works without swing, as well.

I have had that in mind. The problem was that i wanted to use a
multistyled text component to display the drawinfos in different
colors, and the only one i could find was JTextPane. Supporting
both worlds can certainly be done, its just a bit more work. =P

Right now i have a lot to do, but in a couple of days i will give
it a try. I also have a couple of other ideas that could make the
java client numbero uno. ;)

      Currently what you can do is to have a look at

      http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/oxygen/cfclient/jcfscreen.tiff

      (sorry about the format, but im to lazy to convert it right now. ;)

      Hmmm.. looks pretty. not sure if that's just the nicer choice of fonts

      and

      native scrollbars on the mac, though. It didnt seem likeyou changed much

      on the GUI level at all :-)

I changed the colors to be somewhat smoother to look at. I also
removed the unused fatigue bar and moved the HP/Mana/Grace/Food
values from the upper text area, to the statbar window. This way its
easier to quickly see the exact values. Finding them in a composite
string of text takes an extra annoying second. Ideally i would like to
cut
out most of the text in that string and provide it in labels instead. I
also
believe the PNG support to be a major facelift for the client.

As i said i have a few ideas about the client that involves changing
the GUI a bit. Its not any big changes though since i generally like
the way things are laid out.

Anyway. Thanks for the thumbs up. I will dive deeper into the code
when i resurface from the coming days of eyebleeding studies.

See you around.

     /// Isak Styf (Feanor at mids.student.utwente.nl)