[CF List] Gnarg

Scott Wedel scott at campy.tymnet.com
Tue Oct 23 02:12:46 CDT 2001

Mark wrote:
2) put a force object into the creatures inventory that holds the improved
protections.  I'm not positive of all the settings the force object will need
(presumably, you want to make sure it does not expire like normal spells)
This
is probably the best method, but makes it a little harder to see the final
results the monster will have.

Seeing the final results would seem to be an user interface issue.  There
is no reason why the map editor couldn't show the monster's attributes after
it has applied everything that the monster would apply.

And there is even a simpler way to solve the UI issue - define a special
purpose object for each attribute and give it a name that indicates the
final results.  So then Lorkas would not have a Lorkas_attributes item,
but a fire_resistance_100, cold_resistance_100 and so on.  That way a
list of items does indicate the final results.

							sdw

     From: "Andreas Vogl" <

      andi.vogl at gmx.net

     To: <

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com

     Subject: RE: [CF List] Gnarg

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com

      andi.vogl at gmx.net

      crossfire-list-request at lists.real-time.com

      ?subject=help>

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com

     <

     >,
<mailto:

     crossfire-list-request at lists.real-time.com

     ?subject=subscribe>

     <crossfire-list.lists.real-time.com>

     <

     >,
<mailto:

     crossfire-list-request at lists.real-time.com

     ?subject=unsubscribe>

      https://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-list/

     Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:44:56 +0200

     Kimmo Hoikka wrote:

      [...]

      Big size monsters have some weaknesses with spells currently, the

      best example beeing the notorious lorkas the fallen who kills himself

      all the time with his powerfull spells, perhaps thats not the intent,

      rather makes the map a bit too easy sometimes...

     You didn't mention the best point: Lorkas is killing himself

     with attacktypes that he's completely immune to.

     Assuming he's not attacking himself with melee,

     His spells only do fire, cold, poison, magic - to all of which

     Lorkas is 100% resistant.

     This bug has been known for a good while, but nobody could come

     up with a fix yet. I suspect it might be related to this old

     stats-glich in the monster code: When a monster applies any piece

     of equipment, it's stats get replaced by those from the default arch

     or sth. (See below)

     The fact that Lorkas has suicide-tendecies doesn't pose a

     direct leak to balance, as his guardians (Rancid, Vultoor)

     are mean enough. However, I do agree the bug is annoying.

     Andreas V.

     Here is an old excerpt from the cf-devel archives:

     Andreas V. (me) wrote:

      > When a monster with special resistances

      > (special = not identical with archetype) has the "can_use_armour 1"

      > and can_apply/will_apply set, this screws the monster's resistances.

      > When applying an armour, the monster seems to revert to archetype's

      > resistances (or maybe even none).

     Mark W. replied:

      This applies for more than just resistances - basically all attributes

      (str, dex, ...)  The problem is difficult to fix.  Basically, to fix this

      would require a second store of values as stored in the map file.  This

      could perhaps be done via a dynamic archetype - if we notice some values

      being changed, we allocate another archetype, update the objects arch

     pointer

      to that, and set a flag so we know we have already done this (and to free

      that archetype when we free the object).

      The reason this happens is that when a creature applies something (note

      the both monsters and players use the same function), we go back to the

      archetype values to use for base and just add/subtract onto stuff.  This

      is much more accurate, and in some ways the only way to go (since

      resistances are not strictly additive, I am not sure if you could

      accurately remove resistances without recalculating them all).

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com