[CF-Devel] Various proposed changes

david.delbecq david.delbecq at mailandnews.com
Sun Sep 2 14:30:58 CDT 2001

      I just want to note that in Crossfire, maps are usually designed in a

      way that what's out of sight is not meant for the player to see.

      It would be rather ugly for example, if the map-mechanisms (those

      combination of buttons/gates/boulders that "do special effects")

      would show up due to some detection spell.

      Also, often there are multiple levels of a virtual "building"

      on one map. Now if the player could see on level 1 the monsters

      from level 2 right next to him, wouldn't that be weird?

     Sure this can be a problem if a player gets in view the monsters of the next
level. But don't forget that magic mapping already has this problem. This is
an issue to think about (especially what concern map mecanisms). But what
concern monsters, i don't think seeing the little goblin who push the buttons
is a problem, since you don't see the button. Also don't forget that this
problem already appeared with xray. Perhaps using some no_magic information
we could prevent some squares to appear with x-ray or detect monsters!

      Remember that MichToen's request for sending the player position's

      map-coordinates to the client has been rejected? The reasoning was

      that it might get abused to gain knowledge about the map layout that

      the player shouldn't know about. Like hidden areas and stuff.

      I think it would be inconsequent to allow detection spells now to

      do just that.

      Andreas V.

      PS.: I could think of other useful employs for detection-spells

      though, like revealing some monster stats for example (resistances,

      attacktypes etc). This might even prevent players from looking

      those up in the arches and maps. :P

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com