[CF-Devel] PROPOSAL: Luck

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Sep 16 06:30:42 CDT 2001

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      So.. being a worshipper of Lythander, I was curious as to what exactly

      luck was buying me, and quite horrified to find that it provided me

     nothing.

      Luck is an intangible benefit.  You can't simply say that "a luck of +1

      means you hit for 1 extra HP of damage"  because what that essentially

      translates into is either luck == armour, or luck == damage.

You didn't look deep enough into the code there I think. Luck has a lot
more effects on various actions. Success of spellcasting/prayers, even
alchemy receipes and the likelyhood of god intervention (divine "gifts"
while praying over an altar) all depend on luck. Luck is maybe less
powerful a stat as STR or POW for example, but it's okay that way, IMO.

      Instead, luck needs to affect all aspects of play. [...]

      To make an change this extensive, would be hours of work (adding luck to

      every calculation in the server).  Instead, I propose modifying the way

      random die rolls are made.  Currently CF uses RANDOM()%foo to generate a

      random number.  This could be replaced by a generator function, like

      random_roll(min, max, op); Wherein, the luck would be taken into account.

I would consider this an overdo, because luck already has it's fingers
real deep in many parts of the code. In some cases apparently
the calculations of luck are done pretty badly (like in the melee code
you mentioned). I think those formulaes should be improved, that's all.

Andreas V.

     http://www.gmx.net