[CF-Devel] PROPOSAL: Luck

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Sun Sep 16 10:52:03 CDT 2001

On 16-Sep-01 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      You didn't look deep enough into the code there I think. Luck has a lot

      more effects on various actions. Success of spellcasting/prayers, even

      alchemy receipes and the likelyhood of god intervention (divine "gifts"

      while praying over an altar) all depend on luck. Luck is maybe less

      powerful a stat as STR or POW for example, but it's okay that way, IMO.

I don't quite understand, perhaps you could enlighten me here.

I looked at the source, and just a simple grep: (1.0.0)

Alchemy gets a luck bonus, and it would appear that the identify spell, and
spell fumbles get luck bonuses.  Oops, yes, praying at altars.

IMHO, these are all very one-off, special case scenarios.  They don't represent
luck well as a statistic.  I'm not convinced having luck is an advantage at all
given these corner cases.   Admittedly, I have not dunked through the CVS, so
if luck was recently beefed up, then I will go look into that code.

As for my proposal, perhaps one of the points would be to take out some of
those special cases, to lessen it's effect there and spread it out more for the
player.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net