[CF-Devel] New Skill idea - Music

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Mon Sep 17 01:42:39 CDT 2001

On 16-Sep-01 Scott Barnes wrote:

      Like I said, that would be quite a bit of work, but I think it would spice

      up the game quite a bit, and add a little more variety.

      Comments anyone?

I wrote a bard skill and class for my mud ages ago.  Basically what I did was
this:

The mud works on a tick system, similar to how crossfire works, but slower.
The bard would choose a song, and decide to play it.  Each song had different
effects, and a set of lyrics.  The lyrics would play on the screen, each one
per tick.  After each lyric, an effect would occur.  Such as "Drums of Doom"
which would cause earthquake damage after each lyric printed.  Some of the
other effects would take affect after completion of the song, such as the haste
song.  But for crossfire I would actually reccomend that all songs have a
continuing effect as long as they are played.  IE, you are hasted as long as
the song keeps playing.  There needs to be a downside to this as well, ie, the
player's AC/WC gets worse because he is busy strumming a mandolin, or somesuch.
On the mud we had movement points, which were a great thing to steal from the
player for bard music.  Crossfire might be more difficult in that regards.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS