[CF-Devel] seperating skills (was RE: brief introduction)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Sep 29 06:33:36 CDT 2001

Tim R. wrote:

      [...]  I've had a few ideas:

      We break the weapon skills out from under the physical category

      of skills, which is an interesting problem in itself, as it would

      render that category ~useless.. but whatever.  Anyhow.. we break the

      skills out into the different weapon types, so you can learn

      slashing, crushing, piercing whatever as an individual skill.

      By breaking each one out, away from the general physical category,

      you enable two things:

      1) I can know slashing better than crushing, and if I use slashing

         more than crushing, I excel at it.

      2) By making more skill experience categories, you start to whiddle

         down the ability for a player to become a master of everything.

Seperating the skills more is a good idea IMO. However, I would prefer
to keep the parental skill classes. Weapon skills should still be in
"physical" cathegory. But when you advance in one specific skill,
say swordmanship (/slashing), at low level 100% of the exp goes into
that skill and only like 30% go in each of the others. The higher you
get, the lesser exp should flow into the other skills. E.g. at
level > 100, you still get 100% into swordmaship but only 0.5% in
the others. (The higher you get, the more you "specialize" in that
one skill)

That way, when you max out your sword skill and then suddenly switch
to a mace, you have at least some basic level to start and don't need to
fight orcs again.

Similar, I think wizard skill should also be split up. Every spellpath
having it's own skill, all combined under a parental class like
described above. So when I use fire path I also get a bit of exp in
all other paths, depending on my level.

With priest skills I'm not sure in what do divide these up into.
Maybe they are allready kinda divided into the gods, so we can leave
them. (Which of course would considerably strenghthen the priest
compared to other classes)

This whole thing would have the advantage that it takes more time
and effort to reach all the top levels, while low levels don't get
much harder.
Classes/Races could have much more interesting starting skill-combos,
and maybe natural boosts/penaltys for certain skills.

      > At some level, I think having too many skills gets annoying.

      > Currently, crossfire is more an action game than true RPG, and as

      > long as it remains that way, you don't really want too many

      > complications (I don't have a problem with it moving more RPG like,

      > and I think that is slowly happening, but is a lot of work)

Yes, Crossfire is moving into the RPG direction and I think that's
very good. But that doesn't mean we should loose any of the action
parts.
As stated above, with the concept of "parental skill cathegories"
it would be more the high end where it gets really harder. Which I
think is good.

Andreas V.