[CF-Devel] seperating skills (was RE: brief introduction)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Sep 29 15:33:14 CDT 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Seperating the skills more is a good idea IMO. However, I would prefer

      to keep the parental skill classes. Weapon skills should still be in

      "physical" cathegory. But when you advance in one specific skill,

      say swordmanship (/slashing), at low level 100% of the exp goes into

      that skill and only like 30% go in each of the others. The higher you

      get, the lesser exp should flow into the other skills. E.g. at

      level > 100, you still get 100% into swordmaship but only 0.5% in

      the others. (The higher you get, the more you "specialize" in that

      one skill)

      That way, when you max out your sword skill and then suddenly switch

      to a mace, you have at least some basic level to start and don't need to

      fight orcs again.

 This could be based on level difference.  For example, if you are level 30 is
slashing, but level 28 in bludgeon, then decent amount would go to bludgeon,
where as if you were level 1 in bludgeon, not much would go there.

 The problem here is that I can see players wanting to be able to unlearn
skills, because they don't want that exp split up.  Maybe I know that I'll never
want to use bludgeon - I don't really want exp getting shuffled to that.  But
that is not much a problem at high levels no matter what method is done for the
splitting of it.

      Similar, I think wizard skill should also be split up. Every spellpath

      having it's own skill, all combined under a parental class like

      described above. So when I use fire path I also get a bit of exp in

      all other paths, depending on my level.

      With priest skills I'm not sure in what do divide these up into.

      Maybe they are allready kinda divided into the gods, so we can leave

      them. (Which of course would considerably strenghthen the priest

      compared to other classes)

      This whole thing would have the advantage that it takes more time

      and effort to reach all the top levels, while low levels don't get

      much harder.

      Classes/Races could have much more interesting starting skill-combos,

      and maybe natural boosts/penaltys for certain skills.

 A lot depends on how complicated you want to make it.  While the three weapon
skills (bludgeon, slash, poke) could make for attack types, it may not follow
really well for actual weapons.  You could easily have something like a top
level physical category, then the bludgeon/slash/poke subcategories, and then
more specific weapons below that.

 IMO, the most flexible way to deal with this is for one skill to have pointers
to related skills that exp funnels into.  Then really you can have as many
skills that have experience categories as you want.

 I personally would like to see more skills potentially available, but also
easier to learn those skills.  In my playing experience, it can take a very long
time to find a skill scroll of some specific skill you are interested in.  I
think having many skills fairly readily available (easier to learn skills
perhaps via guilds, and also make them cheaper), but the power of them more
independent of other skills you may know would make things more interesting.