[CF-Devel] seperating skills (was RE: brief introduction)

David Hurst dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Sun Sep 30 05:03:27 CDT 2001

I am an avid fighter in SCA and I believe I might just input a few pointers in this..

      Well.. off the top of my head.. I had planned something like this:

      Slash:

              Sword-like

              Axe-like

An Axe is not a slashing weapon, it is a sharp blugeon.

      Pierce:

              dagger-like (think stiletto)

A dagger is a stabbing weapon, it is used in combat to stab at the head and joints, as is a rapier.

      Stab:

              spear-like

              knife-like

To call any two handed weapon, a stabbing weapon is rather dodgy, they are used in a stabbing action, but they don't deal damage like a stabbing weapon (trust me, it hurts alot more ;))

      Slice:

              katana-like

              rapier-like

I don't know HOW rapier got here, a rapier is a long thin piece of metal used to stab at joints (think about how professional rapier fighters fighter, that don't ever slash or slice).

      Whip:

              whip-like (we don't actually have any yet though.. eh?)

I have one in my image directory, I think I might have even commited the image, it was never actually added into the game though.

      Bludgeon:

              Club-like

              staff-like

      Crush:

              hammer-like

              mace-like

              flail-like

hmmm well a flail is more of a whip like weapon, I would say you should define each category as a form of damage.

      Combo:  (I stole this from you, I really like this)

              polearms, halbards, etc.  The idea here would be to have different

              kinds, like in DND, so one might be slash/pierce, and you would have to

              know both to wield it.  Like you said, the best damage type would win.

      Wierd:

              saws and magnifying glasses.  ;)  Probably nonsensical to have a skill

              for those.

The point I would like to make is, that you should probably think about each type of damage, then try to categories each of the weapons with some of each. An axe is a very good example, it is defn a bludgeon but it has a sharp edge, so it would do both types of damage.

Anyway, I defn think this is useful, particularly in terms of armour, currently armour is defined really by how much AC and armour. But in reality, ring mail doesn't do a thing against a hammer (though not alot does). It would certainly make alot of weapons alot more useful if they deal various levels of each damage.

Food for thought (or fish)
Darth_bob