[CF-Devel] seperating skills (was RE: brief introduction)

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Sun Sep 30 01:11:32 CDT 2001

On 29-Sep-01 Mark Wedel wrote:

       A lot depends on how complicated you want to make it.  While the three

      weapon

      skills (bludgeon, slash, poke) could make for attack types, it may not follow

      really well for actual weapons.  You could easily have something like a top

      level physical category, then the bludgeon/slash/poke subcategories, and then

      more specific weapons below that.

Well.. off the top of my head.. I had planned something like this:
Slash:
        Sword-like
        Axe-like
Pierce:
        dagger-like (think stiletto)
Stab:
        spear-like
        knife-like
Slice:
        katana-like
        rapier-like
Whip:
        whip-like (we don't actually have any yet though.. eh?)
Bludgeon:
        Club-like
        staff-like
Crush:
        hammer-like
        mace-like
        flail-like
Combo:  (I stole this from you, I really like this)
        polearms, halbards, etc.  The idea here would be to have different
        kinds, like in DND, so one might be slash/pierce, and you would have to
        know both to wield it.  Like you said, the best damage type would win.
Wierd:
        saws and magnifying glasses.  ;)  Probably nonsensical to have a skill
        for those.

Anyhow.. the idea here, is that you have the different dammage-message and
attack types, which would be the first column (slash, stab, pierce).  The
second column would be the actual skills, each one signifying a different
fighting style.  (using a club is nothing like using a quarterstaff, at least,
effectively)  Monsters would be immune or vulnerable to the damage-types, not
the weapon-skills.

The problem with doing these as attacktypes.. which I originally had planned
on, is that we are running out of room in that bitmask.  Unless we want to make
the leap and make it a 64bit int, I'm not sure what we can do about that.

       IMO, the most flexible way to deal with this is for one skill to have

      pointers

      to related skills that exp funnels into.  Then really you can have as many

      skills that have experience categories as you want.

       I personally would like to see more skills potentially available, but also

      easier to learn those skills.  In my playing experience, it can take a very

      long

      time to find a skill scroll of some specific skill you are interested in.  I

      think having many skills fairly readily available (easier to learn skills

      perhaps via guilds, and also make them cheaper), but the power of them more

      independent of other skills you may know would make things more interesting.

Perhaps there is a better way of doing this.  Simply making every skill
available in scroll form right off the bat seems too easy.  Perhaps just upping
the chances of it showing up in a shop would be enough.  Maybe guilds really is
the way of doing it.  Join a guild of fighters and learn some attack types.
Perhaps the payment could be non-monetary, and level based, for a level 10
player, it might be, "bring me the head of an orc and I'll teach you swords".
Just a random thought.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net