[CF-Devel] A brief introduction, and some thoughts

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Sep 30 08:16:05 CDT 2001

Mark W. and Tim R. wrote:

      > My object classification was really starting at the top level, eg:

      > monsters, players, items (everything that can be picked up),

      > background/terrain, spells/effects/skills

      > [...]

      > In terms of slash/bash/poke, if you really wanted added reality,

      > you could actually make that different attack types - basically split

      > phyiscal into those three areas.

      [...] the right thing to do is to go into the monsters and

      fix them up WRT the new attacktypes. [...]  It definately can be

      done, and as it is worked more and more into the maps, [...]

Consider: Splitting physical attack would require a redo of
huge parts of the code, the maps AND the arches!

I have the feeling that this discussion is getting slightly out of
hand. So far I think the following main topics have been covered:

o Seperating skills into a tree-like structure

o Splitting physical attacktype into different subtypes

o Creating a guild system to use tree-like skills

o Reworking the karate-type skills to have new features.

o Redoing the object structure to have tree-like structure with
  type/subtype/subsubtype

I believe that each of the listed features would keep one person busy
full-time for more than a month (at minumum). Most of these topics have
been discussed several times in the past too.
Hence, I think we should focus on *one* of these points,
get a consens how to do it, and then write the code for it.

Otherwise we end up concluding that *everything* should be redone,
and that it is too much work, so it can't be done. ;)

Andreas V.