[CF-Devel] new alchemy formulae / artifacts

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Apr 8 10:58:19 CDT 2002

My thoughts about the formulae/artifacts changes,
proposed by Johnny Shelley:

I think the new spell-potions are okay, but they should be reserved
to alchemy and not appear in shops/dungeons often. (Thus, chances
of the more useful potions should be slightly increased in the
artifacts file IMO).
The reason is not that it would be unbalancing, but it would further
reduce the amount of useful potions showing up. The fancy spell-potions
should be reserverd to alchemists who really like to have something exotic.

The cure illness potion is an exception. I think that one is very useful,
but I'm not sure about the balance aspect there. For lowlevels the required
lich dust might be pretty hard - On the other hand, for highlevels it might
be a too easy way to cure self-infection of hardcore disease if the
formulae was easier.

I like the simple arrow/bolt receipes very much. Projectile weapons
are currently underpowered (or why else does nobody use them?), so this
can only be of help.
Btw, I wonder if it is possible to use several of these formulaes,
one after the other, to generate arrows with multiple attacktypes?
Theoretically, "transmutation" receipes should allow this, or not?

About the artifacts: First of all - I think the formulaes are sane.
But again I wonder if it is possible to apply these to artifact
weapons which already had bonuses before?
That should still be okay for daggers and bows, but we should
keep an eye on it if it works. Not that suddenly someone adds
swords, axes and stuff... ;-)

Andreas

PS.: I believe attacktypes on bows do not work currently.
Last time I checked (for the JavaEditor type-definitions) it seemed
attacktypes on bows have no effect.

      I have added a few new alchemy formulae and artifacts. I plan to start

      play testing them on mids's server sometime this week and hopefully get

      them into cvs if they aren't terribly unbalancing.

      Diffs of lib/formulae and lib/artifacts are attached. I'd appreciate a

      little feedback on whether or not some of the new formulae are too

      powerful or game unbalancing.

      johnny

     http://www.gmx.net