[CF-Devel] patch for generators to create special ability mo

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Sat Apr 13 10:56:04 CDT 2002

On 13-Apr-02 Norbert Irmer wrote:

      I made a map, for which it was neccessary to make a

      small change to the generator code. I have included

      it, together with my changes to the server code.

So I have some issues.

1)  You should have sent a diff of the code.  Please do so in the future.  It
would also be nice to send the diff separately from the map, for those of us
who would review the code, not the map.  (if I can just click on the diff and
look at it from my mail-reader, the chances are higher that I will look at it
rather than if I have to untar it, and expend extra effort)

2)  I would also like to see a description of eaxctly what you did.  Ie, you
have this routine patch_monster, that seems to interpret a string off one of
the fields in the monster/arch.  I'd like to know the exact syntax of this
string, and how it works.. etc.  Basically, I want you to document your
proposed change.  (ideally, in a format, that if we accepted it, we could place
it in the map-making guide)

3)  Your code looks like it's very beta quality.  Lots of printfs all over the
place (presumably for debugging) and none of the appropriate logging functions
were used.  As the code stands, I feel it's not ready for inclusion.

That being said, I don't really object to the concept of what I *think* this
code is doing.  If you were just posting it to get a general feel for how we
would react to it, then I guess it's fine, but if you want it to be put into
the game, you really need to clean it up, and document it.  Also, at a cursory
glance, it looked like you used a different indentation/formatting style than
the crossfire norm.  You will need to conform there as well.

Anyhow.. these are just my suggestions and opinions.  My intention is not to
browbeat you over this submission.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net