[CF-Devel] patch for generators to create special ability mo

Norbert Irmer norbert.irmer at t-online.de
Sat Apr 13 11:10:50 CDT 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      1)  You should have sent a diff of the code.  Please do so in the

      future.  It

      would also be nice to send the diff separately from the map, for those

      of us

      who would review the code, not the map.  (if I can just click on the

      diff and

      look at it from my mail-reader, the chances are higher that I will

      look at it

      rather than if I have to untar it, and expend extra effort)

      2)  I would also like to see a description of eaxctly what you did.

      Ie, you

      have this routine patch_monster, that seems to interpret a string off

      one of

      the fields in the monster/arch.  I'd like to know the exact syntax of

      this

      string, and how it works.. etc.  Basically, I want you to document your

      proposed change.  (ideally, in a format, that if we accepted it, we

      could place

      it in the map-making guide)

      3)  Your code looks like it's very beta quality.  Lots of printfs all

      over the

      place (presumably for debugging) and none of the appropriate logging

      functions

      were used.  As the code stands, I feel it's not ready for inclusion.

      That being said, I don't really object to the concept of what I

      *think* this

      code is doing.  If you were just posting it to get a general feel for

      how we

      would react to it, then I guess it's fine, but if you want it to be

      put into

      the game, you really need to clean it up, and document it.

Yes, off course. I just wanted to get a quick reaction, and show which
idea i had in
mind. In the included map, the generated giant worms are almost killed
immediately,
if they don't have certain resistancies.

      Also, at a cursor

      glance, it looked like you used a different indentation/formatting

      style than

      the crossfire norm.  You will need to conform there as well.

Yes, it's difficult to overcome old habits. But I think the guy who
wrote the
generate_monster() function used the same identation rule as me (two
spaces)

      Anyhow.. these are just my suggestions and opinions.  My intention is

      not to

      browbeat you over this submission.

I am quite happy with the overall reaction. I had not expected that the
crossfire
community is still that alive.

Best regards,
Norbert