[CF-Devel] Increased object information idea.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Apr 23 22:21:06 CDT 2002

Henric Karlsson wrote:

      I think this might be a good idea as well. It's always nice to be able to

      get the info in-game instead of looking at spoilers or code. But I think

      it should be fairly hard to get the info. How about introducing an other

      *identify* scroll, only available as scroll, that shows more info than the

      normal identify scroll/spell. This ofcourse implies that every object

      keeps track of, if it has been identified or *identified*.

  I'm not sure if I like the different levels of identification.  Presumably,
stuff in the store should be fully identified, so it doesn't effect that that
much.  But it then seems an extra bother to first do a lesser identify to see if
the object may be interesting and then doing the greater identify to know the
esoteric properties.  And given the properties I described, I'm not sure how
many people would do a greater identify.

  Now, the entire identification system could be redone - you could have levels
of identification.  Like up to level 5, you only get basic properties (ac, dam,
armor), levels 5-10 add the resistence values, 10-15 add price information, etc
(exact details on this would have to get worked out).

  The level an item was identified would be directly corresponding the the
caster  level or the level of the skill involved.  Thus, if you only have level
1 in identify food (woodsmen), you won't find out very much.

  I'm not convinced that doing that is really worthwhile, but if diferent levels
of identification were added, I think that is the way that it should be done
instead of flag_identiifed1, flag_skill_id, flag_identified_2, etc.

  At a very basic level, doing such a change probably wouldn't be that difficult
- any item that has flag_identified set when loaded just has is id_level set to
110.  Items, when saved out, don't have flag_identified set anymore.  The other
places that sets an item as identified just need to store the value (if greater
than what is there).  The hardest part is changing the examine code to look at
the level of the id and decide what it should provide.