[CF List] editor features (RE: level & exp)

Scott Wedel scott at campy.tymnet.com
Wed Apr 3 12:22:13 CST 2002

     While I'd love to have pickmaps, there's a line of other things

     which I consider of higher priority atm.

I think a roadmap for the map editor, the CF server and the CF client
would be useful.  Presumably, it'd just be a list of the projects that
are important that the primary developer(s) intend on doing.  Roadmaps
help prevent developers from implementing features that no one else
cares about and providing encouragement for completing features that
are highly anticipated.

      There isn't a defined document, but in the server directory, there

      is the doc/Developers/mapguide which says a few things to do.

     I think the best thing we can do is provide an Editor which

     makes map-creation a simple, exciting and entertaining process.

     There's not much use IMO trying to "hammer" into people's heads

     what a good map is and what they *must* do when creating maps.

     It's not that people don't know what a good map is - The question

     is: How hard is it to create such maps, and how many people

     are both able and willing to do it with the existing tools?

I think the tools for creating a map is a similar situation as having
a computer language.  The ability to specify and create definitely
exists.  The challenge for someone wishing to create a CF map is that
a truly helpful style and techniques guide does not exist.  It would
be like learning C programming from the ANSI C language spec.

A document showing the proper way to do certain things in a map
would be helpful.  It would also serve as a spec as how particular
map features are supposed to work so maps don't rely upon what
others consider a bug.  Also, if experienced map designers contributed
a helpful hints section then that would be helpful.

A truly powerful map creator would include options for things like
one way doors and automatically create the inaccessible mechanical
room with the button, spikes, boulder and links (or whatever method)
needed for a one way door and other complicated, interesting map
features.