[CF List] Map reset time (was: New To Crossfire)

Kimmo Hoikka Kimmo.Hoikka at Digia.com
Tue Apr 16 01:34:45 CDT 2002

     The whole idea of maps needing to reset quicker because everyone wants to do a

     particular map (presumably often for another time) suggests deeper problems

     with the game.  Players should want to and be encouraged to explore, not do the

     same map yet again.

     I agree with that, better to make more maps and more quests than kludges
for map resetting, remember also that a map-connecting parameter is
missing from all current maps and there is plenty of them (>1000 map
files in maps directory ). One example of a map people tend to run
through over and over again is raffle1. I wonder if people are just lazy
or what since there are dozens of maps with similar monsters in the
game, enough for everyone.

       Maybe the reset logic should instead

     be that a map will never be reset until after a fixed time since most recent

     activity and then a .1% per minute of being reset (and resetting adjacent maps

     also idle for long enough).  That way once a map is cleaned out then players

     are better off going elsewhere than waiting for a map to reset.

     Fixed reset has one problem: the map may reset while you are exploring it which is pretty nasty in the harder maps. I see no problem with the current map reset system so I wonder why it should be changed. As I recall this thread of discussion started with someone new to crossfire (as the topic still reminds) and people new to crossfire should learn to explore around the world to find all the maps of their level, raffle is not the only place to gain low level exp, it may be the nearest and easiest...

--
Kimmo Hoikka
Technology Manager, Architecture

     Kimmo.Hoikka at Digia.com

Tel. 0424 7777 505 GSM: +358 40 7380747

PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any attachments are intended only for use by the named addressee and may
contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named addressee you should
not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error,
please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments accompanying
it. Digia does not accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses
occurring to this message. For more information, contact

     info at digia.com