[CF List] Map reset time (was: New To Crossfire)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Apr 17 00:16:25 CDT 2002

Kimmo Hoikka wrote:

      I agree with that, better to make more maps and more quests than kludges

      for map resetting, remember also that a map-connecting parameter is

      missing from all current maps and there is plenty of them (>1000 map

      files in maps directory ). One example of a map people tend to run

      through over and over again is raffle1. I wonder if people are just lazy

      or what since there are dozens of maps with similar monsters in the

      game, enough for everyone.

  Note that off all the maps in the maps file, probably only a fairly small
portion would need to be set up so they are linked together and reset at the
same time.

  There may be several reasons raffle1 is so often used - it is easy to get to,
may have a decent reward, and all the monsters are spawned by lots of generator.
  The later point means that if you just want to kill hill giants, you can go to
that map and get an endless supply.

      Fixed reset has one problem: the map may reset while you are exploring

      it which is pretty nasty in the harder maps. I see no problem with the

      current map reset system so I wonder why it should be changed. As I

      recall this thread of discussion started with someone new to crossfire

      (as the topic still reminds) and people new to crossfire should learn to

      explore around the world to find all the maps of their level, raffle is

      not the only place to gain low level exp, it may be the nearest and

      easiest...

  Well, one thing that could certainly be improved is to not lengthen the reset
time if a player isn't on it long enough - thus, if a player enters, sees its
been cleared out, it doesn't extend the map reset time another 2 hours.

  However, this also gets tricky.  You have a map like raffle1 where the main
entry map doesn't have any monsters, so you need to go to the second map to see
its status.  So tuning the times is very tricky - you want to make sure that the
map doesn't get unexpectedly lengthen because the player is just going to see
its status, but at the same time, you don't want maps re-setting if a player who
is in progress, and lets say cleared out the first two levels, zip through to
say level 3 to continue where they left on - you don't really want levels 1 and
2 to reset.  So to do that then requires that maps get linked up.

  I will note that such a link approach doesn't need to be done all at once -
the maps with the most problems would get updated first.