[CF List] Levels, exp and stats (tewaking the mobs in common)

Luke lukasdi at gmx.de
Wed Apr 17 17:37:30 CDT 2002

Hello y'all,
i just wanna report a werid observation me and my friends made :

We're playing crossfire since some years (remember the server crashing
all 15 mins..jep that was the time we had begun to play that great
game...).

In the end all of us got better and made it to the maxlev after some
days of immediate playing and the game has begun to bore us beside the
fact that there are many quests, things and maps to explore in CF
too...so we decided to tweak the stats of our mobs (cause the most part
of the game is hack'n slay in a clever way):

We had a lot of fun in tweaking all the stats * 3.(better said
ATTRIBUTES like STR,DEX,INT...) The mobs became really hard again at all
levels and the exp flew in tons...in other words the game made fun again
,but after a while we discovered strange phenomena (like soft walls
couldnt be opened after they have been scratched one time..and so on)
and sometimes the game crashes too...

So we took out gdb, recompiled the 1.0 version with it and looked what
happened when the server crashes.

After that we really wondered why the server worked that long time
without crashing at all :P

The reason was , like you surly can imagine, that lots of stat-lookups
and stat-computings have just been desiged to use a (too) short ranged
table (capable to manage all stats from 1 to 30 i think).DEX made the
most problems (game crashed sometimes when giants threw boulder and so
on...)
I can understand that this has been made to reduce the computing time
but now its nearly impossible to raise the mobstats above 30. It would
need to make bigger tables or rewrite a lot of the code...

However i just wanted to report that.
It would be great if you could change that in the future when you're on
rewriting maybe that special parts of code.

It was relly cool how to be very vulnerable at level 45, fighting
against all mobs with really good eq. You could kill all of them but
they killed you very fast too (just fair for great heroes i think).
Anyways we died often but had still more fun than before (cause on the
one hand it was hard to kill a mob but on the other hand you got 3*exp
for that work). Lets say we had more respect to all kinds of mobs....

If you know a possibility to make the mobs hitting harder, move faster
and cast real mean and mighty without changing their stats , so please
let me know :)

Thanks for reading.

Farewells
   Luke.