[CF List] Experience Categories

Kimmo Hoikka Kimmo.Hoikka at Digia.com
Sat Apr 27 05:02:45 CDT 2002

Hi!

To the first message in this thread I just wanted to say that the only
category I have never (without party cheating) managed to make to level
110 is mental. Stealing from and singing to calm retributioners and arch
angels gives really fast exp in agility and personal categories (high
death rate also :). high level treasure chests in random maps give
somewhat experience to mental but not with same rate, perhaps the levels
could be adjusted a bit.

To the personality skills I have an additional idea: the game has a few
bagpipes, make then give a skill of musicant. also an artifact bagpipe
or other instrument would be nice that gives some attribute bonus to the
skill related with personality skills (charisma?) to improve the ability
to calm monsters with that skill. All skills have related items that
improve the ability to use that skill, so why not personality skills
also, perhaps a bullhorn to give oratory/singing a boost also ;). Mental
is a bit tougher, reading glasses would be a good item to give the
ability to find traps better and read higher level books, the game also
needs more high level things for mental skills to get exp. An additional
mental skill could be telekinesy, moving obstacles and perhaps monsters?
that could give a good way to get exp as monsters already have levels.
Moving a big dragon would require high levels but would grants lots of
exp. This skill would also give interesting new ways of game play...
Another additional skill idea I have had for a while, handicraft: the
ability to manufacture items from raw materials. Making containers,
weapons and armour from leather, wood and iron would be really
interesting, with better level you would be able to get some bonuses to
them, lighter weapon, bag of holding, tougher armour, etc. the skill
would be similar to alchemy so I guess it would not require lots of
code. If someone gives me the source code for the windows server I could
code it myself, as I am too lazy to install linux at the moment :(

and for the last thing, why could't someone sing a monster to death?
Finnish folklore has a guy (väinämöinen) who sang his foes to swamp and
thus killed them, why couldn't a monster choke to his laughter? ;)

Andreas Vogl wrote:

     Create a way to sing or steal monsters to death.

     Hopefully that is meant as a joke. I was with you all the

     way up to that point.

     LOL, of course this was meant as a joke! ;)

     I hope nobody would ever seriously want to implement

     what I have written in those last lines.

     Your suggestions on better integrating skills into the game are

     some of the best ideas I've seen here in a long time.  The

     archetypes should allow specifying stealing, singing and hiding

     resistance levels.  That would allow a mapmaker to put items needed

     for solving a dungeon on a powerful monster that is vulnerable to

     stealing or being pacified.  And a mapmaker could make the monsters

     in a particular dungeon have extra difficulty seeing hidden players.

     Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind.

     Special skills do not require special maps.  It does require

     existing maps are adjusted when applicable.  Pirates in a drinking

     area should be particularly vulnerable to singing and oratory.

     That's true. Modifying existing maps is fine and makes a lot

     of sense in this case.

     Andreas

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com