[CF-Devel] CFEditor cleaning up

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at gmx.net
Thu Aug 1 04:11:25 CDT 2002

Le Samedi 27 Juillet 2002 23:58, Michael Keuchen a écrit :

      Hi,

      I downloaded the latest version of the CFJavaEditor and

      did a bit of "cleaning up". This was necessary as there

      was really a mess with configuration files, build files,

      scripts, batch files and so on.

      You can download my version from "

      http://crossfire.tabacha.de".

      In particular, I made the following changes:

      - new build file

           I have removed all old Makefiles, scripts, buildfiles,

           batch files, ... They are replaced by "build.xml" for ant

           for building the app and small scripts for starting.

     Sounds like a good idea. The previous installation scheme was too complex in
most cases.

      - new packages for java sources

           According to naming conventions, I have moved the sources

           in a source directory and to the package

           "de.tabacha.crossfire.editor". I would have preferred

           "com.real-time.crossfire.editor", but "-" is not allowed

           in a package name.

     Again sounds like a good idea. My only objection here would be that you used
your personnal domain name as package name - Something more 'crossfire' would
have been better. But I also understand the problem with the "-". Anyway,
that new convention may help to integrate CFJavaEditor better in a complete
Java environment.

      - Changed project name to from CFJavaEditor to CFEditor

           Old name was a bit long-winded.

     That I can't agree with. The name of the project is CFJavaEditor. Unless you
want to split from the original project, you should keep the same name.

      - Resources included in jar

           When building the jar, the resource files (icons, help

           files, default configuration files) are included. From

           comments in the source code, someone has earlier tried to do

           this and had problems. Can you check my changes, please?

     Distributing the resources as a Jar archive sounds quite natural (I wonder why
this wasn't done before with CFJavaEditor). This is again the standard way of
doing things in the Java world, so I agree with you on that point.

      - Separating the PNG support from the CFEditor code.

           Previously, the PNG source files were included in the

           repository. I downloaded the newest version from sixlegs.com;

           now it's used as a library.

     There was a technical reason to supply PNG code directly with CFJavaEditor
sources - some bugs in the original png classes prevented its direct use.
As long as those bugs are corrected in the latest version of Sixlegs PNG
classes, I see no reason to maintain those sources in CFJavaEditor.

      - No change in functionality and appearance of the program

      - Changed version number from 0.975 to 0.976

      Do you think this version can replace the older versions of the

      CFEditor?

     My personnal opinion is 'yes', because it goes in the sense of simplified
installation and better compliance to the Java standards.
However, I'd first want to be sure that the new configuration stuff and the
PNG management do not cause new problems.
I'd also want to see another domain/package name for the editor - I don't like
the idea of using a 'personnal' domain name.

- --
Y. Chachkoff